Duration: 4 - 6 hours
Distance: 6 - 8 km
Group size: 4 – 15 people
Where: Hvar bus station
When: Starts every day (for bookings with 4 or more people) or on Wednesdays (for bookings with less than 4 people) at 9:30 AM, however we try to be flexible as much is possible and the exact time can be arranged with you
Price: 60 EUR per person (without the tour options)
Note: For groups with less than 4 persons we may offer a private guided tour, or if possible, we may join you with an existing group
Did you know that lavender cultivation on Hvar began in 1930, when one person planted a few lavenders in Velo Grablje, while the other villagers laughed at the idea? Only 20 years later, the inhabitants of Velo Grablje were making a living off of cultivating lavender and calling themselves a village of billionaires. In 1974 Hvar was the eighth biggest lavender producer in the world.
This guided tour takes you through old local island roads which are still preserved in their original state. Making your way through Hvar’s landscapes, you will breathe the crystal-clean air, potent with the intoxicating scents of lavender, rosemary, lace, pines, and other mostly Mediterranean herbs, rarely found all in one place, with an aroma of constant intensity. When walking along the twisted, rugged roads that are steep at some parts and often lined with centuries-old dry-stone walls, you can listen to the calming call of crickets, the buzz of hard-working bees, and the chirping of birds - all of which will accompany you on your way. At every step, you will find striking views of the distant sea and the captivating harmony of the sun, sky, wind, sea, herbs and omniscient stones. Every tree, every shrub, every flower, and every blade tells an illuminating, whimsical story you can take in with all your senses during this four-hour tour.
The tour starts at the bus station in the town of Hvar. From there we drive about fifteen minutes (14km) to Vidikovac (which is the Croatian word for panorama), the highest place in this part of Hvar island, where you can enjoy stunning views of the nearby lavender fields, the endless blue sea, and numerous surrounding islands.
The hiking route first goes through the village of Velo Grablje, where you can experience traditional Dalmatian island architecture and the locals’ famous easy-going way of life. Following the old trail -- which in medieval time used to be the main road connecting Hvar with Stari Grad -- downhill, it usually takes about one hour to reach Malo Grablje.
In this forgotten village where time stopped ticking more than 50 years ago, you can rest a little bit, enjoy the beautiful scenery, and taste the local menus and favorite local drinks. Following a small road, the hike continues for about 45 minutes to Milna. In Milna you have several options: you can take regular transportation back to Hvar or go for a swim and lunch in Mala Milna restaurant; or if you are brave enough, you can walk from Milna back to Hvar.
Note: From the middle of May, it is possible to see lavender in the bloom. However, the lavender flowers are usually removed when people harvest lavender in late June and early July.
Tour options1) Lunch at konoba Stari Komin (price 20 EUR per person, +1 hour)
- Taste traditional light lunch: local cheese, olives, tomatoes, marinated fish with capers, including drinks (wine and mineral water)
- Note: Konoba (restaurant) „Stari Komin“ is one of the best places in Hvar to try very delicious traditional baked dish made in fireplace, under a bell called “peka”. Peka can be made from lamb or veal meat, however due to long preparation it has to be preordered one day in advance and there should be at least 2 persons or more to order that dish. In the case you are interested to try peka (price around 30 EUR per person), please write us the note and we can arrange it with the restaurant. For other dishes like grilled fish or meat there is no requirement to order it in advance.
2) Swimming and lunch in Mala Milna (price 20 EUR per person, +2 hours)
- Take a break from hiking and jump into the crystal-clear turquoise colored sea in Mala Milna bay
- Taste the local food in Mala Milna restaurant (food in not included in the price)
3) Hiking from Milna to Hvar (price 20 EUR per person, +2 hours)
- Hiking from Milna back to Hvar follows a small, rocky trail and it takes around 2h, depending on the tempo